A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other. ~Author Unknown
Oh, hai! It's been a really long time since I've been here, huh? I could give you a bunch of excuses, but you're not interested. I've been trying to learn how to better manage my work/school/personal time. Sometimes it works, and other times, it doesn't.
I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist over-achiever. So when a semester is in session, I become super-focused on getting that all-important A. Same with work. I need to be the very best at what I do, in every aspect. These aren't terrible qualities to have, but in moderation. There has always been so very little time for ME. This includes making jewelry. I made a pair of earrings for my boss for Christmas, but that's the only piece of jewelry I've made in months and months. I started this blog to learn new techniques from YOU - the experts! Instead, I posted a few times and I abandoned it.
I don't make New Years resolutions - never have and probably never will. I do, however, spend a lot of time at the end of each year, reflecting on the year gone by, what went wrong, what went right, and what improvements I can make to increase my satisfaction with my life.
I'm not going to lie - 2010 was a challenging year. I started out the very first week of the year with a major surgery, and because of some complications with that, was sick, off and on, until about May and spent a total of about 3 weeks in the hospital. I got a B in one of my classes which started in January, but given how the beginning of the year went, I've forgiven myself. There were some major changes at work, which are still stressing me out.
There were blessings, too. I completed my second and third semesters of my re-college career. My boyfriend and I got to take a week's vacation to Minnesota to see my family and then to Maine to see his family. Many lobsters were eaten. Thanks to Facebook, I reconnected with dozens of old friends from years past and I am reminded daily how blessed I am to have these people back in my life. Life is good.
When I think about my creative aspirations, though, I know I am lacking. So, in no particular order, here are my goals for 2011 - my creative goals, that is.
- Blog twice a week
- Comment on your blogs more frequently, but not feel pressured to comment on every post, every day
- Host a monthly giveaway here - I have plans for that, which I will reveal tomorrow
- Attend the Tucson bead and gem shows. I live only two hours away in Phoenix! Anyone want to meet up with me?
- Make two pieces of jewelry per month. It doesn't seem like a lot to most people, but with my school and work schedules, I feel that's a reasonable goal.
- Take 4 beading classes throughout the year. I learned literally everything I know from the videos on Auntie's Beads. I'd like to attend a class in person and expand on my skills.
- Participate in Lori Anderson's Bead Soup Blog Party, which is really one of the big reasons I started a blog!
- Participate in at least one or two blog hop/challenges